We have all been there:
- You suddenly find yourself being asked to say a few words about your business or project
- You meet a person that is of personal or professional interest and you want to make a good impression
- You are asked to speak and you are not prepared
Opportunity has presented itself to you and you have to think quickly on your feet.
How well you do depends entirely on you – will you take the conversation to the next level or will it (and your prospects) fade right there on the spot. A recent study indicates that 53% of customers report their initial impressions of the person speaking helped them make their decision on the spot.
In that brief moment, here are three things you can to deliver a compelling and inviting message:
- Pause before you speak – This extra time allows you time to think (and it is amazing how much thinking one can do in a split second!) and it demonstrates your comfort with the topic. The air of desperation is replaced with one of confidence.
- Be clear on the single point you want to make – You have just a few seconds to make an impression – what is it you want to leave them with when you are done? Rather than overloading them with too much, give them just a single, clear thought to contemplate.
- Make eye contact – More than your words, your body language delivers a strong message. A confident, friendly smile combined with a warm look in the eye conveys sincerity, confidence and credibility.
You are not talking about rocket science – you are talking about your business. You should always be able to tell someone about your life or business in a few seconds with a smile on your face.
Use these three techniques to deliver a strong, compelling message that intrigues your listeners.
Do you rely on your words to help grow your business? Are you involved in a business networking group such as BNI or a Chamber of Commerce? Improve your networking skills by learning to create an Effective informercial and elevator speech. Click HERE for details.
Are you an experienced speaker interested in improving your skills and increase the effectiveness of your presentations? The Speakers Academy is a fast, intense, five-part workshop for professionals that want to increase their confidence, become more credible, and accomplish more with their words.
We will build on your existing skills and bring you to a new level with your speaking.
Click here to learn more about the Speakers Academy.
© 2009 by iSpeakEASY. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links from your blog or webpage are encouraged.