In Uncategorized on March 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM
As a speaker, you need to ensure you are positioned to properly provide the top-rate service your audience expects. Do not be afraid to politely turn down a request to speak if the reasons justify it.
A speaker is entitled to:
- Adequate lead-time to prepare for your talk
- Clearly defined expectations – What is it they want from your talk and why were you asked to speak?
- The parameters of your talk – e.g. time allotted, size of audience
- A clear description of audience member’s backgrounds and needs related to the topic
- A list of other speakers preceding and following your talk
- Access to proper equipment: stage or podium, lectern, microphone, properly functioning audio-visual equipment
- Ability to set up the room in advance so that it works for you
- The full amount of time they have allotted you
- A host who sets clear ground rules so the audience treats the speaker with respect
- A place to speak that is quiet with out distractions
To deliver your best you need the right tools, time and information. These will increase your self the confidence and credibility allowing you to offer excellent presentation the audience deserves.
© 2008 – This speaking tip is one in a series provided to you by iSpeakEASY. Call for information on individual coaching or group training.
In Uncategorized on March 1, 2017 at 9:56 AM
Humor (appropriate and well placed) is one of the four tools used by effective presenters.
Sometimes it is just good to laugh. Audiences like to laugh too.
- I tried to catch some fog. I mist.
- When chemists die, they barium.
- Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.
- A soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is not a seasoned veteran.
- I know a guy who’s addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop anytime.
- How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.
- I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.
- The girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but I’d never met herbivore.
- I am reading a book about antigravity. I can’t put it down.
- I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.
- They told me I had type A blood, but it was a type O.
- A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
- PMS jokes aren’t funny. Period.
- Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.
- Class trip to the Coca-Cola factory. I hope there is no pop quiz.
- Energizer bunny arrested: Charged with battery.
- I didn’t like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.
- How to you make holy water? You boil the hell out of it.
- What do you call a dinosaur with an extensive vocabulary? A thesaurus.
- When you get a bladder infection, urine trouble.
- What does a clock do when it’s hungry? It goes back four seconds.
- I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
- Broken pencils are pointless.
Author unknown…but witty!